Halar district of Saurashtra was known for advancement in the field of education & health. This was mainly due to generous donations given in this field by a very noble Philanthropist Industrialist from this region Late Shri Meghji Pethraj Shah. It was time of Jamnagar (known as Nawanagar then) a merging state with centre & Shri Jam Digvijaysinhji was RajPramukh. He was very keen to start a medical college in his own state. Shri Meghjibhai offered an handsome donation of Rs 16/- Lacs at that time, for this noble cause.
By that time Saurashtra was given a status of a state & Chief Minister Shri U. N. Dheber readily agreed. He & Shri Manubhai Shah â€“ then Finance Minister gave lot of support from Govt. side Central Govt. also agreed to part with rest of funds. Shri Jam saheb offered 61 Acres of land for the proposed site of medical college & campus. It was decided to affiliate Irwin hospital (200 beded then) with medical college with a intake of 60 students annually Thus, foundation stone of Shri M. P. Shah Medical College was laid down in Jamnagar in the month of January 1954 by the worthy hands of Jam saheb Shri Digvijaysinhji.