Shri M. P. Shah Government Medical College, Jamnagar
(Established under the Department of Health Research (DHR), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India with the technical support of ICMR)
In 2013, the Department of Health Research (DHR), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Department, Government of India has sanctioned a scheme â€˜Establishment of Multi-Disciplinary Research Units (MRUs) in the Government Medical Colleges/Research Institutionsâ€™ during the 12th Plan period.
Multi-Disciplinary Research Unit (MDRU), established at the Shri M P Shah Government Medical College, Jamnagar, was the first centrally sponsored research unit established among all the government medical colleges in the state of Gujarat. This research unit provides ample opportunities to the researchers and faculties as well as students including life sciences to undertake the basic and advanced research regarding Non Communicable Diseases in improving quality of diagnostic techniques, therapeutic and preventive measures.
Objective of the Scheme
The objectives of the present scheme are:
Major Functions of the MDRU
- Encourage and strengthen an environment of research in medical colleges.
- Bridge the gap in the infrastructure to develop diagnostic and treatment facilities for the welfare of community.
- To improve the overall health status of the population by creating evidence-based application of diagnostic procedures/processes/methods.
- To undertake research in non-communicable diseases and other need-based research as recommended by the Local Research Committee/Expert Committee of the DHR employing newer tools.
- To promote and encourage quality medical research in the Institution.
- To constitute the local research committees for identifying the research priorities and projects with participation of State health system officials.